Jefferson edition #2- Monticello
- Hurry up and finish! – Jefferson started construction in 1769 and never stopped building until 1809. Jefferson was the primary architect and a majority of the labor was completed by slaves.
- The tour seemed rather short- There are 43 rooms in Monticello, many are on the upper floors which are closed to the public today.
- Domes are all the rage- The dome at Monticello was installed in 1800 and was the first ever seen in America. All of the glass within the dome was made in Austria.
- Plenty of elbow room- Monticello is over 11,000 sq. feet including basement space. There are eight fireplaces and two staircases. Rooms on the second and third floor only have 8′ ceilings. The house is 110′ long, 87′ wide, and nearly 45′ high.