Miracle on Ice edition
- The Soviet Red Army team was on a roll that Winter, Posting a 5-3 record in 8 games vs. NHL teams and crushing the American squad 10-3 on February 9, 1980.
- The game was not broadcast live- Soviet officials refused an offer to push the face-off back into a prime time slot. Most Americans still believe they saw the game live…. it was tape delayed
- Olympic tradition held that teams had their names engraved on the individual medals… the Soviets refused following the loss.
- The US squad nearly lost the Gold Medal game against Finland– trailing after two periods, coach Herb Brooks cautioned his players they would take the loss “..to your graves!” A third period surge secured the Gold.
- Official Soviet news agency did not formally report the results until 1985.