Practically Historical finally gets around to… ranking the Presidents. The criteria was laid out in an earlier post;
- Meeting the issues of the day… how well did the President address the most pertinent concerns of the electorate– not the sanitized, politically correct concerns of the scholar.
- Crisis leadership… could the President provide the necessary leadership during national crises– war is the ultimate crisis, but not the only one to be considered.
- Fulfilling the duties of the office… did the President enforce the law, defend the Constitution, supervise the military, and promote our diplomatic interests?
The Top 10 The Bottom 5 Oh so Close 5
- Lincoln 5. Johnson 5. Kennedy
- Washington 4. Hayes 4. LBJ
- T. Roosevelt 3. Van Buren 3. Wilson
- Polk 2. Buchanan 2. McKinley
- F.Roosevelt 1. Harding 1. Monroe