Old goggled-eyed snapping turtle….
George Gordon Meade edition
- Meade was born in Cadiz, Spain in 1815- his father was serving as an administrator for the US Naval station there
- An average cadet, Meade graduated in the upper- middle of the class of 1835 (19 of 56)
- As an Army Engineer, Meade designed lighthouses including those at Long Island, Cape May, and Atlantic City
- On June 30, 1862 he was badly wounded during the sixth of the Seven Days battles- Frayser’s Farm
- Despite popular belief, Meade was not replaced by Grant- Meade commanded the Army of the Potomac from June 28, 1863 until the end of the war