Jefferson and Madison edition….
- The two men met in May 1776 while serving in the Virginia House of Delegates- Jefferson was selected to the Second Continental Congress and Madison was chosen to help draft Virginia’s new Constitution
- Jefferson grew closer to Madison when he was the Governor of Virginia in 1779- Madison served on his advisory council
- While serving as Minister to France, Jefferson sent Madison over 2oo volumes for his library
- The nails used to construct the final additions to Montpelier were purchased from Jefferson’s nailery
- The only substantial political disagreement between the men was over the inclusion of the Bill of Rights in the Constitution- Madison opposed it at first