I’ve seen this guy before edition- Wendell Willkie/Donald Trump?
- Wendell Willkie was a successful businessman who started a political career later in life
- Willkie was a longtime Democrat who switched parties after a dispute with the sitting President(FDR)
- He secured the 1940 Republican nomination at a brokered convention
- His 1940 campaign was plagued by well publicized gaffes- including an inappropriate jab at Labor Secretary Frances Perkins’ gender
- Willkie was a wealthy man with a background in big business, yet his campaign tried desperately to appeal to a new breed of populists- it failed.