The Forgotten Major General George Sykes edition-
- Sykes was promoted to Captain for bravery exhibited at the Battle of Cerro Gordo in April 1847
- At First Bull Run, Sykes commanded the only Regular Army battalion on the field. Sykes ordered the Regulars into a battle square and staved off disaster near the Stone Bridge
- Sykes was promoted to Major General of Volunteers after the Battle of Antietam
- “Tardy George” and “Slow Trot” were nicknames attributed to him, yet his combat record contained no blemishes.
- Contrary to popular belief, Sykes was not relieved of command of the V Corps after Gettysburg- he requested extended medical leave and did not return to the Army of the Potomac