Visitors to Gettysburg recently have seen a remarkable change in the Day One landscape: Lee’s headquarters now sits alone on the north side of Route 30, overlooking the field.
Owned at the time by the widow Mary Thompson, the house served as Lee’s headquarters for the battle of Gettysburg beginning on the afternoon of July 1, 1863. It later became a museum and, eventually, the site of a motor lodge for tourists.
In 2014, the Civil War Trust acquired the property, calling it “one of America’s most significant unprotected sites.” Since then, the Trust has worked to restore the property to its wartime appearance.
And now, the project is nearly complete.
View original post 181 more words