Election of 1948 edition
- Democrats briefly courted Dwight D. Eisenhower to challenge Truman for the nomination. The Republicans were talking with Douglas MacArthur during the same period.
- Truman’s support for NAACP legal efforts combined with his executive order desegregating the military caused the Southern Democrats to splinter and nominate Dixiecrat, Strom Thurmond.
- Liberal Democrats rejected Truman as well- they nominated Henry Wallace as the Progressive party candidate.
- Dewey’s lackluster campaign was best summed up by the poorly crafted message- “You know that your future is still ahead of you.”
- As election day arrived, only Truman was convinced of his victory- many on his staff had already accepted other jobs.