Andrew Carnegie edition…
- Carnegie was a member of the South Fork Hunting and Fishing Club- a group that many historians blame for the infamous Johnstown Flood. Members of the club purchased the South Fork dam and allowed it to fall into disrepair.
- Carnegie was a millionaire by 1869 and vowed to retire from business–a decision that lasted 3 years…when he started making steel.
- The Homestead Strike (and subsequent violence ) was handled by Carnegie’s close associate, Henry Clay Frick. Carnegie was visiting his castle in Scotland during the crisis.
- Though he publicly denounced the amassing of wealth, Carnegie retired in 1901 as the richest man on earth.
- Carnegie Mellon University was founded on a $2 million grant from Carnegie