Don’t call him “Teddy” edition
- No one called him “Teddy” to his face; the nickname he preferred was TR.
- TR claimed he decided to be a Republican after watching Lincoln’s funeral parade from his grandfather’s Manhattan townhouse.
- Frightened of his activism, the Republican party decided to “hide” Roosevelt on McKinley’s ticket in 1900
- Roosevelt’s Progressive politics can be traced to the time he spent representing a poor, predominately immigrant district in the New York legislature
- It was TR that ordered Commodore George Dewey’s squadron to the Philippines in anticipation of war with Spain