In early 1887, as fans of Union General John Sedgwick prepared to raise a monument to him at the Spotsylvania Court House battlefield, local residents got to wondering about erecting a monument of their own to a fallen Southern general. Of course, the natural candidate was Lt. Gen. Thomas Jonathan “Stonewall” Jackson, mortally wounded during the battle of Chancellorsville in May 1863.
A monument of sorts already stood in the vicinity of Jackson’s wounding: a quartz boulder the size of a rectangular wrecking ball. Members of Jackson’s staff had placed the boulder next to the Orange Plank Road so passers-by would be able to take easy note.
But the committee of citizens, who eventually became the Stonewall Jackson Monument Association, wanted something more formal for the martyred hero of the Confederacy.
View original post 699 more words