The iconoclasm continues… “offensive” monuments to American Indians will fall next
Duke University symposium addresses monument removal… panels conclude monuments are not the problems we face today
Vandalism of Confederate monuments continues… North Carolina monument desecrated for second time this year
Katie Couric plans documentary about Confederate monument debate… a fair and balanced approach is not in the offering
Profile in Courage Award goes to Mayor of New Orleans for tearing down monuments… Landrieu is so very shrewd in the spotlight
James Madison Preparatory School in Tempe, Arizona Presents:
“Every human being must be viewed according to what it is good for. For not one of us, no, not one, is perfect. And were we to love none who had imperfection, this world would be a desert for our love.”
― Thomas Jefferson
Kyle Sammin correctly surmises in the current edition of The Federalist… that historical figures are imperfect- the millennial demands of removing every monument and memorial to historical figures who do not satisfy their modern sensibilities is both foolish and destructive. Though many of his comments following the Charlottesville violence were divisive and insensitive, Trump’s fear that removing monuments to Confederate generals may lead to the destruction of memorials to our Founders were not far from reality. Trump’s implication(inadvertent) is that there is a slippery slope with historical revisionism– Click on links
These links are the steady progression of arbitrary historical revision… being driven by a generation of social justice warriors completely lacking any semblance of humility. So-called activists who are convinced they are not only morally superior to their grandparents, but to all previous generations. This is hubris at its most blatant and dangerous. Politicians, like Nancy Pelosi pander to these intellectual pipsqueaks by joining in this fool’s chorus- moral redemption through historic erasure.
As previously stated in the pages of this blog… there are more appropriate places for Confederate symbols and monuments than government buildings and public squares. This is a reasonable debate and it should continue. The slippery slope of historical revisionism is real and we are well on the way down it. Sadly, legitimate leadership is required during such a crisis of conscience. We have Donald Trump…..
Confederates in the attic
Soul of a Lion
The Lion of the Union, Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain… remembered the significance of the Confederate flag years after the conflict that defined his life, and the lives of millions of his fellow Americans:
Americans to Americans
” The sight of the Confederate battle flag always reminded me of the immense bravery of the soldiers who served under it.”
–Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain
Battle lines are fading…
Civil War reenacting is a dying hobby… numbers have declined sharply over the last 20 years- due in part to the recession, but many of the wounds are self inflicted.
Serious reenactors are intimidating… and their strict adherence to unquestionable authenticity allows little room for the curious or casual hobbyist. The ranks are growing grayer, and heftier- and the importance of living history is being brushed aside for selfish “hardcore campaigning.” Potential recruits are openly discouraged by so-called “hardcores” – self appointed protectors of the lifestyle….. soon to be lost in all the stitch counting.
Greater effort is needed to reach out to the next generation of Civil War living historians… There must be an alternative to self-defeating behaviors like stitch counting and labeling- as if our hobby was meant to be exclusive.
Autumn is never a second Spring…
- “Draining the swamp” actually means crippling the government to the point of ineptitude
- It is a woeful administration that can be mocked and manipulated by the North Korean regime
- This President is well beyond the impeachment standards established by Madison and Hamilton
- Neither political party is able to provide leadership
- Paul Ryan is not even an insect on Henry Clay’s tombstone
- Trump supporters will remain so, until he demands their sons and daughters risk their lives overseas
- Elon Musk is not the new Thomas Edison
- US Grant is an overrated tactician
- William S. Rosecrans is an underrated tactician
- Please finish the Eisenhower Memorial
- Those of us who love history must be vigilant during this chaotic time of revision and destruction
- We must not allow this coddled and entitled generation to rewrite our history
- There is no white supremacy at the University of Virginia
- Confederate monuments in public spaces should be moved to cemeteries and battlefields
- Corporate Charter Schools betray the original intent of the movement
- School choice works
- Historia est Magistra Vitae
To stop desecrating my memory